Re: performance

Charbel Jacquin <cjacquin@club-internet.fr> writes:

> IMHO, this default behaviour is a bit masochistic ;) You can't expect
> people reviewing Guile to take time to change this, so you can't expect
> a fair comparison against any other scheme interperter or extension
> language. Also, making the debugging evaluator the normal one is like
> claming that Guile is so buggy that the normal situation is debugging.
> Or even worst, that programming in Scheme tends to produce more bugs
> than with any other programming language.

It's called debugging evaluator because it makes it easier to debug
your programs (giving backtraces).  It is not used to debug Guile.

It is only between 2 and 3 times slower than the normal one, so there
is something else which is strange about Andres' measurements.

Personally, I almost never need the extra speed but I'm often glad to
get backtraces, so I'm happy about the debugging evaluator being the
default one, but you have a point anyway.  It's probably many people
who just make a quick test and find it slow...

/mdj