Re: Scheme tutorial

"Ian Bicking" <bickiia@earlham.edu> writes:

<snip>

> Thud has the problem that you need to know something about
> simulation of a certain sort.  The example app should be something
> simple and universally understood... a Guile-scriptable
> calculator...?  Or is that too boring?

<snip>

A calculator is definitely not too boring -- and potentially very good
tutorial material.  That is, it runs all the way from REPL use ("(+ 5
7)", "(pow 2 100)") to GUI programming.  For lists etc., you can do
parsing of algebraic input or polynomial calculation.  Think emacs
calc. As for C integration, you could try libfftw (the Fastest Fourier
Transform in the West) or try to find some application that could use
a calculator added to it.  I think gnumeric and the other various
gnomish spreadsheets already use Guile.  Or perhaps gnuplot could use
a new language...

Anyway, I think a new tutorial on "how to use Guile" would be great
--- I used the two tiny little examples in the manual for a long time.

Andrew