Case-sensitivity.

Thanks for your responses and for your critiques of my patch.

As several people pointed out,

    (read-enable 'case-insensitive)

does the trick. As such, my patch is unnecessary.

With the above option set, guile become compliant with the following
clause in the R?RS specifications (Section 2.2/Lexical Conventions):

      Upper and lower case forms of a letter are never distinguished
except
       within character and string constants.  For example, `Foo' is the
same
       identifier as `FOO', and `#x1AB' is the same number as `#X1ab'.

I agree with Craig that it would be better if guile's default behaviour
was consistent with R?RS and that non-compliant behaviour required the
setting of the switch (rather than the other way around).

Jim: do you have an objection to making R?RS compliance the default
behaviour?

I agree with Jim that it would be better if case-sensitive language
parsing didn't depend on a global switch that affects the Scheme reader.

A quick question about using diff to create good patches. How do I use
the preferred options with the cvs diff subcommand? Or must I maintain
my own copy of the old repository source so that I can invoke diff
locally?

Regards,

jon@zeta.org.au