Re: autogen?

tromey@cygnus.com writes:
> Jim> How would folks feel about switching Guile to this system?  Among
> Jim> folks who have used both Guile's way and GTK+'s way, which do you
> Jim> prefer?
>
> I prefer having the built files in the repository.  Use
> AM_MAINTAINER_MODE, and spurious rebuilds won't happen to most people.
> In this scenario only people who need to hack configure.in or a
> Makefile.am will need the maintainer tools.

scwm has relatively few developers and even so we got spurious CVS
conflicts and rebuilds all the time, due to the way Automake builds
the value of TAR into the automake program, and the fact that this
differed among the developers. But I believe that other spurious
rebuilds happened as well.

Also, making sure you check in Makefile.in's when you change in
Makefile.am's (and document said changes in ChangeLog) is a measurable
constant burden on developers and provides only a one-time benefit (no
need to install the auto-tools) to other people accessing the code
through CVS. I feel the former group has enough work as it is, and the
latter has already signed up to live the bleeding-edge life. Since
snapshots can be built to contain the auto-generated files, this
penalty against bleeding-edge users is further mitigated.

 - Maciej Stachowiak