Re: autogen?

    Jim> How would folks feel about switching Guile to this system?
    Jim> Among folks who have used both Guile's way and GTK+'s way,
    Jim> which do you prefer?

I update the glib/gtk+/gnome trees almost daily, and I tend to prefer
the autogen approach.  It scales much better to having many developers
who might have slightly different versions of automake/autoconf.

    Jim> [...] The disadvantage is:
    Jim> - Building from CVS or a snapshot would now require autoconf,
    Jim>   automake, and libtool, in addition to GCC and GNU Make,
    Jim>   since the files they generate would no longer be provided
    Jim>   in the repository.

It is a problem, and it means that we have to also occasionaly (or
often) put out a real .tar.gz snapshot.

Another annoyance is that bootstrap is always a bit more error-prone,
even if you have all the tools.  A typical example is if a package's
aclocal file isinstalled in a different prefixe from aclocal itself.

Future versions of automake/autoconf might do away with aclocal, which
might help on that front.