Re: What's after guile-1.4? (was: Re: Questions... I am new to scheme)

    Jay> On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Bernard URBAN wrote:
    >>  >>>>> "Jay" == Jay Glascoe <jglascoe@jay.giss.nasa.gov>
    >> writes:
    >>
    Jay> hi, I hope this isn't flame bait, but IMO guile-1.3 is not
    Jay> (yet!) ready for "mission critical" applications.  For one
    >>  What do you mean by "mission critical" ? If it is running some
    >> program

    Jay> hmm.  To tell the truth, I'm not sure what I mean.  But then,
    Jay> that's the problem: I need to be able to explain to my boss,
    Jay> in down-to-earth terms, why we should go with Guile.  I could
    Jay> easily show off the power of Scheme, in general, and
    Jay> specifically the simplicity of the Guile/C API (docs!  docs!
    Jay> docs! ;) But sooner or later the age old question will arise:
    Jay> "how stable is it?"  What do I say?  I don't even understand
    Jay> the garbage collection mechanism.

In addition, it is probably somehow risky to have a Guile program
acting as a background daemon, as there is no upper memory limit.
But scwm may be a counterexample.

    Jay> I went through the same song and dance with Python.  Huh.
    Jay> Perl vs. Python All I really had to do was show the online
    Jay> docs, the big old book by Mark Lutz, and the survey of the
    Jay> many companies/organizations/agencies that use Python as
    Jay> their number one [so-called] scripting language.

    Jay> I could always wait another 5 years or so; surely Guile will
    Jay> be sufficiently impressive by then...  It will sell itself.

    >> I suppose you have some C interface for loading *.so, different
    >> from other ones. You only need to add support for the AIX type
    >> of *.so modules as a file dynl-aix.c (which should be no more
    >> than 50 lines code), after the model in dynl-dl.c etc...
    >>
    >> dynl.c includes one of the above dynl-*.c files, and you can
    >> ensure inserting dynl-aix.c through introducing (exemple)
    >> #define HAVE_AIX_SHARED.  This is best handled at configure
    >> level.

    Jay> I'll have a look.  I have a foggy understanding of AIX DL
    Jay> mechanism (loading a *.so gives a pointer to the entrance
    Jay> function... I think).  Anyone else on this list have AIX?

It is better to have the right documentation. On HP-UX, even with the help
of the official manpages from HP, it was still hard to make dynl-shl.c work.
I hope IBM's doc is more understandable.

--

B. Urban