Re: gc notes available

Sure; we could give the application more control over garbage
collection, to prevent pauses at inopportune times.  I'd want to look
into how other lisps have done this first, though.

I honestly think a generational GC gives you most of the configuration
you want, and much better performance.  The youngest generations can
be collected so quickly you won't notice, and you'll still get most of
the allocation support you care about.