Re: The GIMP! By gum, I forgot all about it!

scott@poverty.bloomington.in.us writes:
> Last I heard Lauri was swearing at how hard it was to emulate SIOD's
> braindead set! semantics in guile.

What does SIOD do with set! that's so unusual?

> There has been on-and-off discussion of putting guile into the gimp
> core, but at the moment the notion appears strongly resisted because
> guile is not adequately stable, insufficiently portable, and too big
> and too slow (or is at least perceived as such).

This insufficiently portable point at least is definitely wrong - it
builds on more or less any unix-like system, and uses autoconf so it
probably builds even on systems the maintainers have never heard
of. Has anyone here ever been unable to build Guile on a weird system?

Size and startup time definitely need to be addressed though.

 - Maciej