Re: Scheme is too complicated

On Wed, Oct 28, 1998 at 12:02:41AM -0600, Erik wrote:

> I'm just getting to the "solving everyday programming tasks" myself.  The
> learning curve on scheme has been steeper for me than on any previous
> language (although it just barely beats learning the OO paradigm for C++).
> I'd previously been in the habit of reaching the skill level needed to
> solve most basic problems in well under a week, but Scheme seems to want
> more of my time than that.

> Stepping back a bit though, I wonder if the difficulty isn't more in the
> fact that Scheme assumes some much different programming thought
> processes than those used in C,C++,Perl,Java,etc.

I would put my 'difficulties with scheme' issues in 2 categories: 1.
it really *is* different from everything else I've done..  I
definitely fumed a bit when I discovered that there was no 'while'
built into the language (and appluaded the fact that guile does have
one), and 2. the fact that, except for some things here and there like
slib and guile, scheme doesn't seem aimed so much at the "everyday
programming tasks" crowd, like Perl, Python, Tcl, etc..  I think Guile
will help change this.

> BTW-  is it possible to compile guile to use kernel threads?  I saw code
> for several different thread packages (mostly labeled as obsolete), but I
> don't see the familiar LinuxThreads among them - and grepping for clone()
> doesn't find anything.

>From 'man clone':

" This call is Linux-specific and should not be used in pro grams
intended to be portable. You may use POSIX threads instead."

Grep for 'pthread', and 'mutex'...  I think I saw something looking
through the sources last night, but I didn't stop and examine it.

Ciao,

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org