Re: naming modules

ttn@mingle.glug.org writes:
 > Jim Blandy writes:
 >
 >  > (Hoping to resurrect a promising topic...)
 >  >
 >  > [namespace registry and possible hierarchy]
 >
 > I would prefer not to have a registry because of its huge potential for
 > bit-rot and goes-in-two-places problems.  However, the `(lib ...)' part
 > of the proposal is insightful; everyone usually produces a "library" w/
 > specific (and most likely disparate) organizational requirements.  So
 > why not just use the natural namespace partitioning mechanism (who you
 > are, ie domain)?  I'd agree that a module name like `(org gnu foo bar
 > baz)' would be heinous, but it is unambiguous, and that is really useful
 > for this problem.  Just requires some Emacs support to save typing.  Or,
 > more realistically, people will name their modules whatever they want,
 > which brings up the remapping requirement...

But what would happen if someone changes his internet provider? Will all the
stuff moved to a new module name, though nothing essentially changed?

In addition, if several people accidentally use the same provider, it might
give the impression that it's the providing company who is actively developing
guile stuff, which is downright misleading.

      Klaus Schilling