Re: require vs use-modules

David Welton <davidw@gate.cks.com> writes:

> So, for those in the know, what will it take to get some 'standard
> lib' kinds of things for scheme?  Are 'official' people working on
> this?  Or does someone just need to do a really nice implementation of
> it, and create a de-facto standard?

There is SLIB already, which is pretty nice.  There has been alot of
discussion recently about doing scheme standardizing based on a core
(r5rs and the like) with a collection of libraries which would be
optional, and implementable in terms of the core.  This is the RFI
stuff people are talking about, check comp.lang.scheme for more info.

Overall, the scheme community is slow on standardizing things, which
IMO is not a bad thing.  Recent discussions of RFIs and that type of
mechanism for standardizing on various aspects of the langauge are
encouraging to me because I feel they do not jeopardize the
pedagogical beauty of scheme, but provide those interested in "work" a
set of known interfaces to work with and share.  I personally don't
want to lose either side of scheme.