Re: require vs use-modules

davidw@gate.cks.com writes:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 1998 at 11:46:26AM -0500, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> >
> > chrisb@ans.com.au writes:
> > >
> > > What if any is the relationship between slib's (require ..) and guile's
> > > (use-module ...)
>
> > One works for Guile modules, the other works for slib packages. They
> > are not interchangable, AFAIK there is no package you can load using
> > both methods. Personally, I would like to see slib packages made
> > visible in the Guile module namespace, I have some ideas on this but
> > I might wait for Godot before taking a crack at it.
>
> I ran into this last night, and figured it out, but it is definitely
> weird for new users (although I guess people deal with it in Perl, as
> well, with require, use, etc...).  Would be really cool if it were a
> bit more consistent.  I guess that's a fairly tall order, though.
>
> So, for those in the know, what will it take to get some 'standard
> lib' kinds of things for scheme?  Are 'official' people working on
> this?  Or does someone just need to do a really nice implementation of
> it, and create a de-facto standard?

An archive of RFIs (Requests For Implementation) is in the process of
being set up (does anyone know the URL?). From what I have seen, some
smart people are contributing useful RFIs, I expect these to be come a
de facto standard. I hope in the future some useful subset of them is
reviewed for consistency and adopted as a de jure "Common Scheme"
standard. The core standard could then be made even smaller by
migrating the procedures that are implementable in terms of others
into the libraries.

 - MAciej