Re: Scheme is too complicated

On Tue, Oct 27, 1998 at 08:12:42AM +0100, Sascha Ziemann wrote:
> David Welton <davidw@gate.cks.com> writes:
>
> | Before everyone goes off and writes drivers for their favorite DB,
> | would it not be a good idea to learn from history, and try and create
> | a standard sort of DB interface, like Perl's DBI?
>
> Do you know the best DB interface?

The one that does everything you need.

Seriously, let's get back to a useful way to discuss database interfaces?
The way it usually happens is everyone proposes their favorite - some
people favor a thin wrapper around their favorite vendor's call-level
interface - oracle's OCI, sybase's CTLib, ODBC, mysql/msql's interface. Or
they say everything should be like a dbm file, just keys and values. Or
everything should be like a filesystem.  This winds down in about a week,
and everyone agrees that a good general API for RDBMS' is good, and that
perl's DBD/DBI is a good example, but wants to do things a little
differently because it's a different language, or a different goal then
perl.  I'm told python has a uniform interface along the same lines, and
maybe tcl does, too.

So once the database interfaces start rolling in (nudge, nudge to those of
you out there who are willing to share your work) we can start
implementing an interface based on the very good proven interfaces out
there.

--
Peter C. Norton                      Time comes into it. / Say it.  Say it.
spacey@pobox.com                   | The Universe is made of stories,

                                     Muriel Rukeyser "The Speed of Darknesss"