Re: Scheme is too complicated

David Welton <davidw@gate.cks.com> writes:

 > On Mon, Oct 26, 1998 at 11:17:54AM -0500, Russell McManus wrote:
 > >
 > > See http://idt.net/~mcmanus for a Sybase dblib interface for guile.
 >
 > Before everyone goes off and writes drivers for their favorite DB,
 > would it not be a good idea to learn from history, and try and create
 > a standard sort of DB interface, like Perl's DBI?  I think Python has
 > something like this as well...  Things would be easier if we did this
 > now, instead of writing a zillion different drivers willy nilly.

One interface I'm familiar with is the one which makes an underlying
database file look like an associative array (aka hash table).  This
would mean (make-hash-table) would take some extra args (such as file
name) & the hash table access routines would be different depending on
the type of hash table created (gdbm, berkeley db, ...).

Is there another interface for more sophisticated databases?

--
Harvey J. Stein
BFM Financial Research