Re: regexp profiling hell....

Maciej Stachowiak <mstachow@mit.edu> writes:

 > I personally think compiling all of Scheme files shipped with Guile
 > (into loadable modules when necessary) should be supported at an
 > appropriate time, however, perhaps as a configure-time option, even if
 > some files are fairly small.

I *strongly* agree.  It's not just startup time that's helped.  It's
*also* run time in *2* different ways:

  1. The compiled code itself runs faster.
  2. The compiled code isn't in the data space so GC doesn't have to
     scan it.

And, yes, a generational GC will help with 2, but a) it won't help
with 1 & b) when's *that* going to happen?

--
Harvey J. Stein
BFM Financial Research