Re: regexp profiling hell....

> > If the problem really is in 2, then it means that either we need a
> > generational gc for guile (hard), or it *must* ship with compiled init
> > files (not hard).  The latter would also help startup time & would
> > make the stuff in the init files run faster.  I really don't
> > understand the resistance to doing this.  I know there are things that
> > *should* be done with the startup files that would speed things up,
> > but why not just compile them anyway?  At least people wouldn't have
> > to live through the startup times waiting for the day when things are
> > cleaned up.
>
> I agree with this sentiment overall. Even when the init files are
> nicely cleaned up it would probably _still_ be better to ship them so
> they install compiled. However, the Guile-modified version of Hobbit
> is not necessarily ready for prime-time yet. Perhaps the freezer or
> the unexec stuff could make a livable stopgap measure?

I'm concerned about making the simplest Guile configuration (just
guile-core) depend on Hobbit.

Second, it seems like a lot of the crap in boot-9.scm is there to
support the module system.  If Guile had an environment implementation
in C, would there be enough left of boot-9.scm to be worth compiling?