Guile numerical work and uniform arrays

Mark Galassi writes:

 > Dear numerical scheme enthusiasts,
 >
 > Jim Blandy has asked me if I could get some people together for a
 > private discussion of uniform arrays and other Guile features needed
 > to support scientific computing.
 >
 > The motivation is the following: uniform arrays (kind of like vectors,
 > but the elements are all the same size, thus allowing storage similar
 > to a C array) make Scheme a convincing language for numerical work,
 > but the current design and API could do with some improvements.

What is the advantage of using uniform arrays over application-specific
smobs as in Chris Lee's example for g-wrap (from the Meschach lib)?
The gsl already contains a few matrix utilities which might be wrapped as well.
Chrlib seems to work along these lines, based on BLAS and LAPACK.

      Klaus Schilling