Re: forthcoming object system

On Fri, Sep 18, 1998 at 10:04:34AM -0700, Doug Evans wrote:

> I have a moderate preference for what you call Single dispatch, though
> I have a fuzzy notion that Multiple dispatch is more Schemey
> (is this fuzzy notion wrong?)

My slightly-informed opinion is that it depends on what you want out of
the object systyem.  I'm perfectly happy if the message passing convention
allows for inheritance more like apple/next's objective-c, where you can
specify forwarders, messages that can be received, etc. instead of having
to use the inheritance heirarchy as the sole source of message acceptance
info.  In this case, single dispatch is fine, i.e. not a limitation.  I
don't know what others think of this sort of thing.

--
Peter C. Norton                      Time comes into it. / Say it.  Say it.
spacey@pobox.com                   | The Universe is made of stories,

                                     Muriel Rukeyser "The Speed of Darknesss"