Re: probably faqs

Matthew Crosby <crosby@nago.cs.colorado.edu> writes:

> Hmm.  Security, good point.  For what I'm doing at the moment, security
> isn't an issue.
> But that does interest me.  Is there an eqivalent of, say, safe tcl?  Any
> interest or plans?  (I'd volunteer to work on it, if there is interest...)

It has been discussed.  It's an issue for the module system.  There's
no reason one shouldn't be able to run code in a restricted RnRS
namespace, which should prevent one from doing anything unfortunate.
(I just watched Hackers last night --- it was so 3L337!!!1!! Very
amusing.  I don't know how a non-computer type would enjoy the
movie.)  Anyway, that namespace restriction should be enough to keep
things safe.  The big reason we don't have "safe-guile" is because
nobody's put together a basic module listing all the names one needs
to get something done in scheme, while not listing anything
hazardous.  Oh, and the module system might change.  It's worth doing,
though.

Andrew