Re: Oleo with guile

Klaus Schilling <Klaus.Schilling@home.ivm.de> writes:

> How far should the usage of Scheme go? Should it only replace the native
> .rc -files of an application, or should a great deal C-code be replaced with
> Scheme scripts as well? Which role does the module system and hobbit play
> when it comes to guilification of application software?

Well, I'm incorporating guile into GnuCash.  It'll handle command line
parsing, config files, and usage message generation in the short term.

In the long term, we plan to use it in a very emacsish fashion to have
all kinds of hooks to hang user (and application) actions off of.  And
I also want to be able to handle non-GUI things like

  $ register-cron-monthly 15th << EOS
  gnucash -e '(gnc:register-transaction
                (gnc:acct-lookup "Salary")
                (gnc:acct-lookup "Checking")
                "Paycheck"
                42.00)'
  EOS

The exact details may vary, and there would be more fields, but you
get the idea...

The core of GnuCash is written in C with a stable Motif/Lestif front
end, and a Gtk/GNOME front end in development.  For those curious
GnuCash is the successor to xacc.  We need some good developers, and
I'm short of time (I'm the only one working on the guile stuff), so if
you're interested...

FWIW