Re: segfaults and Re: structs, records, SMOBs etc.

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Telford Tendys wrote:

> In some ways it would be nice to make SCM actually a struct or a union
> containing an integer, our current declaration is:
>
> /* In the beginning was the Word:
>  */
> typedef long SCM;
>
> maybe something like this would be better:
>
> typedef union
> {
> 	long l;
> 	void *v;
> }	SCM;
>
> Using the above, you can still get away with:
>
> SCM x = 0;

I completely agree upon this point and see this as a natural step
in the ANSI-fication of guile. Most of the guile code is still written
in the old K&R style with no possibility to type check functional
arguments etc.

Would there be any potiential errors possibilities introduced by
such a conversion or other drawbacks?
(except for application code implications...)

     Best regards
     Roland Orre