Re: generating a manual from annotations in source code

telford@triangle.triode.net.au writes:

> > > I'd like to see docstrings compiled into the executable since it
> > > minimizes the number of files that need to be installed.
> >
> > I would say definitely not, because we want to translate the
> > doc strings into ten thousand different (human) languages and
> > choose which file to use based upon local settings.
>
> I feel that since the idea is to distribute source code as widely
> as possible, having executables tailored to a particular human language
> is not such a bad thing.

The standard GNU way of internationalizing strings in source code is
to use `gettext', which will let the same binary run in different
locales by setting the LANG environment variable to appropriate
settings. Guile should not break this model with it's docstring, since
it is an official (and rather central) part of the GNU project.

 - Maciej