Re: a Guile linear-algebra package, RFC

Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.ping.de> writes:

> chrislee@lavash.ius.cs.cmu.edu writes:
>
> I shortly thought about replacing the Matlab like language of Octave
> with Guile, but nobody around me did even realize that Matlab's
> language is crap so I lost interest.

I've also been thinking about making a Guile <-> Octave interface.
I haven't yet looked at Chris' package, but I'm sure that it could
give a lot of inspiration on how to do this.

> > 1) Is anyone interested in this package (if no one is interested,
> >    maybe I should not bother).
>
> Yes, yes, yes, yes!

Yes, yes, yes, yes! from me too :)

> I myself would really like to have a Matlab clone with Scheme as its
> `scripting' language.  Given that Octave already exists and is free
> (and does complex numbers!), would it be possible to use the numerical
> libraries of Octave instead of BLAS and LAPACK, etc?  I vaguely
> remeber that Octave too uses some FORTRAN code that is then wrapped
> with C++ classes.

I'm also very curious about what you say about this, Chris.  Would it
be simple to use the techniques in your package to make a language
binding for Octave?

I'm very busy right now, but in the beginning/middle of May I think I
could reserve some time for working on such a thing.  It would be very
useful for my research to have a Guile binding for Octave.

Maybe we could collaborate on this?

Best regards,
/mdj