Date: Thu Mar 12 20:32:16 1998
From: Mikael Djurfeldt <mdj@nada.kth.se>
Subject: Procedure documentation

Topics:
   Procedure documentation
   Re: Procedure documentation

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 22:20:37 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Mikael Djurfeldt <mdj@nada.kth.se>

Dear Guile developers,

Isn't it time we decided for a system for procedure documentation.  It
seems silly to me that we postpone the inevitable task of supplying
documentation to C-level and Scheme-level procedures.  I'd like to do
that when I write my procedures.

Therefore I think we should decide on a design for this ASAP.  Jim?

We could add a procedure `doc' to the (ice-9 session) module to give
users easy access to it from the command line.

As we've discussed before, I think it is nice to supply documentation
as procedure properties.

We could have serveral properties related to procedure documentation,
for example:

property	value
--------	-----

type		One of { builtin, builtin-primitive, user,
                user-primitive, etc } or something similar.  It is, for
		example, important for a compiler to being able to determine
		which functions are builtins and which functions must
		be supplied in the load module.  (Note that it is
		possible for a compiler or a compiler interface to do
		dependency analysis due to the function
		`procedure-source'.)

c-name		The C-level name.  The compiler wants to have this so
		that it can generate calls builtins and functions in
		other modules.

signature	Information on how to call the function.  This could
		include number of required arguments, number of
		optional arguments, a flag telling whether it teakes a
		"rest" argument, possible/required types of arguments
		(for `+' it would be `number', for `pair?' it would be
		 `#t'), type/possible types of return value.

module		Name of module which defines the procedure.  I thought
		first that this is information which rather should be
		associated with the module, but then realized that a
		module can import a function and then re-export it.

documentation	Human readable doc string.  We could of course adopt
		conventions in a mannar similar to that in Emacs (for
		example: first line should be a short summary of
		what the function does, argument names should be in
		upper case, etc. (c.f. the Elisp manual)).

Can you think of more?  ;-)

If this scares you: Note that

1. In order to save memory, we can use an optimized data structure to
   implement the procedure properties in the same way as source
   properties are implemented:  Even though the interface to, for
   example, the rest args would be:

     (procedure-property foo rest?) --> #t

   The actual space occupied by this information could be one bit.

2. Although all of the properties above fits nicely as procedure
   properties, some of the may not even need to be stored in a data
   structure associated with the procedure, but could be calculated at
   the time of call to `procedure-property'.  Such properties would be
   "read-only".

/mdj