generational conservative gc

Miroslav Silovic <silovic@zesoi.fer.hr> wrote:
> This reminds me - I /think/ I read somewhere about pretty good gengc
> that was also conservative.

Several years ago, I've read a report on a generational variant of
Joel Bartlett's mostly-copying gc (I've heared it would be patented
or something like that, though I don't know how much water that would
hold, given that at least around here one can't patent algorithms).
I don't have an exact reference ready, but if you search among DEC's
published research papers, it shouldn't be too hard to find. As far
as I remember, this gc (not necessarily the generational variant) is
used in Modula-3 and in Scheme->C, but also available separately as
collector for C or C++ (look for it on ftp://gatekeeper.dec.com/).

-- Marc Wachowitz <mw@ipx2.rz.uni-mannheim.de>