Re: A useful syntax for regexps and other things

kwright@tiac.net (Keith Wright) wrote:
> With that said, I also don't think it is very important.  I wish we
> were discussing modules.  How can anybody use Guile while the module
> system is non-standard, obscure, about to change to something not yet
> designed, and requires writing non-standard "define-public" all
> through your program?

I wouldn't say so. The only place I use "define-public" is within the
startup ".guile". I do all my work in my "scm" module, where "define"
is redefined to "define-public" so other modules can see my symbols.
I also defined "defined?" into the standard scheme way. This means that
most of the code still works fine in both "scm" (Aubrey Jaffer's scm)
and "guile", except for the regexp things which has been changed a lot
lately. There have also been some namechanges of some things but those
are easy to deal with in .guile. The only work where some effort was
needed when going from scm was to change all symbols within the C-code.

This doesn't mean that I don't use the module system. It is the module
system that makes this possible, without my symbols interfering with
the symbols in other modules, like the tcl/tk module.

I've used guile for my work since the beginning of 1997 when I switched
from scm, mainly due to the threads, debugging and tk interface and
I just love it (except when things change just before a dead line... :)

	Best regards
	Roland