Re: A useful syntax for regexps and other things

> It works in SCM4e6 too, although I don't know whether \n escapes are
> R4RS conformant.

R4RS says that \ is the escape character and defines \" and \\, and
then says "Scheme does not specify the effect of a backslash within a
string that is not followed by a doublequote or backslash."  But the
\n for <newline> is a pretty common extension, borrowed straight from
C.  Ansi C says that two consecutive strings are concatenated by the
compiler.  This is handy for writting strings that won't fit on one
line, but won't work for Scheme because two strings in a row already
mean two strings in a row (we don't need no stinkin' commas).  Guile
already has \<newline> to continue a string through a line break.  So
whether \<newline> removes leading blanks on the next line or not has
nothing to do with R4RS compliance.

With that said, I also don't think it is very important.  I wish we
were discussing modules.  How can anybody use Guile while the module
system is non-standard, obscure, about to change to something not yet
designed, and requires writing non-standard "define-public" all
through your program?

--
     --Keith

This mail message sent by GNU emacs and Linux.
Power to the people. Linux is here.
Food, Shelter, Source code.