Re: backslashes in /etc/termcap

    Keith> One of us is missing the point.  The (read) procedure in
    Keith> Scheme reads Scheme objects from a file, but nobody ever
    Keith> said /etc/termcap was a file of Scheme objects.  If you

That's definitely correct.

I didn't follow the beginning of this thread too clearly, but it seems
to me that wrapping the C curses/termcap/terminfo library would be a
better way of parsing /etc/termcap.

I remember some discussion of wrapping the (WINDOW *) objects, and
jimb suggested smobs.  I have this quarter-baked thought in my head
that since you never access the fields of the SCREEN and WINDOW
directly, maybe one could do wrapping that doesn't make a Scheme
WINDOW structure, or one could treat WINDOW as a list and have a bunch
of access functions.  I haven't tried to play with it, though.

    Keith> want to read characters from a file, use (read-char).  This
    Keith> procedure returns characters just as they are, without any
    Keith> escape sequences.  Guile also has (read-line) if you want
    Keith> the whole line.

read-line is not guile specific (even though it's not in R4RS): it's
in SLIB, so you don't have to worry about portability of your Scheme
code if you use that.