Re: i18n; wide characters; Guile

I haven't surveyed Unicode, but here's my impression.

> A friend who is familiar with East Asia And Its Issues tells me that
> Taiwan uses the same characters as mainland China, except that the
> mainland did a simplification of the written forms a few years back.
> So the Taiwan/China/Japan distinctions are a font issue.

Is it such simple?  I don't know about Taiwanese and Chinese, but
in japanese, we did simplifications on some characters and it's
not one-to-one mapping: sometimes several different characters
are mapped onto one simplified character.  And occasionary people
need to use old-style characters, too, so JIS code included both
old-style and new style characters.

I wish I could put some useful info here.  I'll ask some friends about
this issue.

--
Shiro KAWAI
  Square USA Inc.   Honolulu Studio R&D division