Re: mbstrings

> Yes.  I mixed up Unicode and ISO 10646 which I was thinking about.

For practical purposes, they are the same.  Specifically, Unicode 2.0
is ISO/IEC 10646-1:1993, Information Technology - Universal
Multiple-Octet Character Set (CS) - Part 1:  Architecture and
Basic Multilingual Plane.  Since there are no characters so
far defined in 10646 outside the Basic Multilingual Plane,
at this point Unicode == 10646.

> ISO 10646 had a code HOP which could be used to select a default
> value (i.e. a state) for the higher order bits.

Since 10646 is not a byte-stream protocol, that does not make sense.
Are you sure you're not thinking of an older standard, such as ISO 2022?

	--Per Bothner
Cygnus Solutions     bothner@cygnus.com     http://www.cygnus.com/~bothner