Re: The GTK2 line of development

On Mon, 26 May 2003 18:44:48 +0100
Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 24 May 2003, Stan Pinte wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 24 May 2003 12:41:11 +0100
> > Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> wrote:
> >
> > >  - within savannah.nongnu.org
> > >    * has the advantage that all guile-gtk stuff is in the same place
> > >     (maybe it's an advantage, who knows)
> >
> > I would favor that option, as I just moved the (gnome guile) code from
> > the Gnome CVS to the savannah Guile-gtk project. (All the (gnome guile)
> > code is in a separate module, under
> > http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/guile-gtk/gnome-guile-0.1/
>
> Sounds reasonable. The developers on this codebase will probably be
> mainly guile hackers rather than gnome hackers, so that seems about
> right. Then we just have to figure out package names and module names.
>
> The gtk-1.2 code uses the module name (gtk gtk), if I'm not mistaken.
> See the previous email for my thoughts on namespaces -- there's no
> collision here, in my eyes. The guile-gnome code that was in
> gnome-guile-0.10 (I am getting confused now) uses the module (gnome
> gnome). Hmm...
>
> I guess ideally(tm) I would like the (gnome ...) namespace to be
> reserved for the 2.x version. That does conflict with the current naming
> of your project, does it not? Still, if you continue to use (gnome
> guile) and submodules, there shouldn't be any problems.

Currently, the naming used are the following:

(gnome gnome).

I agree to change it to (gnome guile) as soon as it compiles and runs ok...

> The win-win situation would be to coerce you to join 2.x development,
> hehehe ;-)

I'ld really like to have a first working version of the gnome bindings, rather than migrate the whole stuff now...but no problem for migratring toward 2.x afterwards.

> Do I have a correct summary of the situation?

Yes,

Stan.