Makefile preprocessing trouble (was %load-path)

I have implemented points 1-4 of my %load-path plan at home.
However, I haven't been able to test the code because I hit some
trouble with GUILE_LDFLAGS.  I have the Guile libraries at
/home/kalle/i386-pc-linux-gnu/lib/, and when that goes through
the C preprocessor (which Emacs uses for some makefiles), the
"i386" turns to " 1 " which the linker doesn't like at all.

It seems Emacs has had this problem before (with other
variables), and configure.in contains code to add -U options on
the preprocessor command line to get rid of predefined symbols.
(Search for "the horror".)  I tried adding $GUILE_CFLAGS and
$GUILE_LDFLAGS in the list of protected variables, but that
didn't work out because the commands are run in config.status and
the variables are not defined there.

Any suggestions how to tackle this problem?