Re: nonsymm eigenvalues...

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, Robert G. Brown wrote:

Hi, I'm just starting to write a little code snippet to find eigenvalues
and vectors for a non-symmetric, real matrix and am not finding the
nonsymm functions or include files as described in the current online
manual.  My current version is 1.8-1.1 (FC 6).  Were these functions not
available in that release?  Would upgrading help or is the problem
elsewhere (as in I'm not looking at the right place in e.g.
gsl/gsl_eigen.h)?

Also, what is likely to happen if I call the symmetric routines for a nonsymmetric matrix? They seem to "work" and still produce eigenvalues and eigenvectors. Are those garbage?

Sorry to ask what are probably elementary questions, but the last time I
actually took a course on linear algebra or associated computational
methods was something like 1976, and I don't use it much in my research.
Or haven't until now...;-)

rgb

rgb

-- Robert G. Brown Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305 Durham, N.C. 27708-0305 Phone(cell): 1-919-280-8443 Web: http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb Lulu Bookstore: http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=877977