Re: Parameter vectors declared as const in minimized functions

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Brian Gough wrote:

> Robert G. Brown writes:
>  > Just as a matter of curiosity (and because I truly do believe that RTFM
>  > is an excellent first step to learning) where is this documented --
>  > preferrably online?  As I said, the three C tutorials I have accessible
>  > pass over this entirely
>
> I don't know of any reliable online tutorials for advanced C
> programming---most of the ones I have seen have serious flaws.  There
> may be some good ones but I don't know of them...

The one good online textbook I've found is:

  http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/Dave/C/CE.html

although

  http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/General/c_book/c_book/index.html

is a decent introductory level book (I didn't write it, but it is "open
license" and I mirror a copy).

The former has some fairly good advanced stuff in it, but it omits a
discussion of the usage of const as a protection/security mechanism as
Linas indicated.  The latter is no help at all.

> Basically, I would recommend using the classics such as K&R and
> Harbison&Steele---otherwise it can waste a lot of time.

I'll dig them out, although Linas's explanation was adequate.

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb@phy.duke.edu