forwarded message from Harald Wiedemann

------- start of forwarded message -------
From: Harald Wiedemann <wiedemann.harald@litef.de>
To: Brian Gough <bjg@network-theory.co.uk>
Subject: Re: GPL licence
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:26:20 +0100

Hallo,

>  > as mentioned in a previous mail, I'm writing on a book on
>  > 'Numerical Physics' which includes programs using GSL.  May be this
>  > is a good point to thank everybody for the help I appreciated from
>  > the list. All this programs will be licenced under the GPL.  Now to
>  > my question: Is it sufficient to state in the text of the book,
>  > that the programs are under GPL or do I have to include a line in
>  > the source code like this program is licensed under GPL, ....
>
> Thanks for your message.  I'm pleased to hear about the book.

May be I should have mentioned that the book will be in German. So,=20
for most of you, the book will be of no interest. Sorry, but if the book
will sell in Germany, Springer will have no problems to publish an
English translation. Ok,  I will have to improve my English...

> Regarding the copyright notice, it's sufficient to state that the
> programs can be distributed under the GPL once at the start of the
> book, on the copyright page.

This is very good news...

> The rationale for putting notices into the individual source files of
> a program is simply that they might be copied individually and become
> detached from the copyright information.  With a book this is not a
> problem.

I understand, but since the source code of the programs is printed in
the text I want to keep the code as short as possible (and understable...=
).

> I'd recommend including the text of the GPL in an appendix (this can
> be done in a small font to reduce the size).

I probably will go for this solution - translating the GPL (or relevant p=
arts
of it) to German and include in an appendix.

Thanks to everybody,

Harald Wiedemann

--=20
Dr. Harald Wiedemann
LITEF GmbH                              Phone: +49 761 4901-380
L=F6rracher Str. 18                        E-Mail: Wiedemann.Harald@litef=
.de
79115 Freiburg