searching for gsl library

> Hi,
I have problems to find gsl library using the macro
 AC_CHECK_LIB(library, function)

for instante, I have tried

AC_CHECK_LIB(gsl, gsl_root_fsolver_root)

and many other functions. I have tried in my laptop (gsl installed
in /usr/local/lib ) and at CERN AFS, givin explicitely the gsl path
to LDLFLAGS. It doesn't work in either case.

Instead, with:
AC_CHECK_LIB(gslcblas,cblas_sspmv)

I find gslcblas all right.

Any suggestion?? What am I doing wrong?

I copy configure.in of my application for completness:

dnl Process this file with autoconf to produce a configure script.
AC_PREREQ(2.53)
AC_INIT(version.cpp)
AC_CANONICAL_TARGET([])

dnl Initi automake with the name of the package and the version
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(anadiff,"0.1")
AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)

dnl things required by automake

AC_PROG_MAKE_SET([])
AC_PROG_LIBTOOL

dnl Checks for programs.
AC_LANG([C++])
AC_PROG_CC
AC_PROG_CPP
AC_PROG_CXX
AC_PROG_F77

AC_MSG_CHECKING([for math library])
AC_CHECK_LIB(m,main)

AC_MSG_CHECKING([for g2c library])
AC_CHECK_LIB(g2c,main)
AC_PROG_INSTALL
AC_PROG_LN_S
AC_CHECK_TOOL(RANLIB, ranlib, :)
AC_CHECK_TOOL(AR, ar, :)
AC_HEADER_STDC

....  I find OK math and g2c ....

LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -L$CERNPATH"
AC_MSG_CHECKING([for packlib library])
AC_CHECK_LIB(packlib,hbook1_)

if test x$GSLPATH = x; then
   GSLPATH=/usr/local/lib
  echo "set GSLPATH to "$GSLPATH
else
     GSLPATH=$GSLPATH
  echo "set GSLPATH to "$GSLPATH
fi

LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -L$GSLPATH"

AC_MSG_CHECKING([for gsl library])
AC_CHECK_LIB(gsl, gsl_root_fsolver_root)

I find OK packlib but NOT gsl.

 AC_MSG_CHECKING([for gslcblas library])
AC_CHECK_LIB(gslcblas,cblas_sspmv)

LIBS="-lgsl $LIBS"