RE: ntuples

Hi Gilles,
I'm also a high energy physicist...and if I am correct half of the GSL team
has a theoretical background in particle physics too!

I have been using CERNLIB for twenty years. It's a great collection of
useful mathematical and utility routines, but it has little to do with GSL.
Not only the fact that is written in Fortran, but the design (GSL HAS a
design, CERNLIB is just a collection more or less well sorted of algorithm)
and the techniques are different (GSL source is available and the
programming techniques are really modern). The scope is also different, GSL
focus in numerical methods, CERNLIB is wider and more diffuse.

In any case, CERNLIB is and was great and the HEP community has not found, I
believe, a proper replacement for it (although there are a number of efforts
going on, for instance the LIZARD project at CERN). I am firmly convinced
that GSL will soon find its way in our comunity, please advertize it!

Your question on ntuples. I don't think any one is going to convert ntuples
from GSL into PAW ntuples. PAW is "officialy" obsolete, although in practice
is still widely used. The only alternative is ROOT which anyway comes from
the same people (but you can use C++ --sort of-- with ROOT, check it out).

best,

jj gomez-cadenas