Re: CVS missing configure

    John> Hey folks, I just tried to grab a fresh set of files from
    John> cvs, and the configure script seems to be missing.

Dear John,

We don't keep the "configure" file in CVS because it is automatically
generated by autoconf from "configure.in".

The philosophy here is that if you use CVS you will have the developer
tools, like libtool, automake and autoconf.  If you are a user,
instead, you get a gsl-version.tar.gz file which is ready for
"./configure; make"

We provide a convenient (and rather conventional in GNU projects)
script "autogen.sh" which will run libtoolize, aclocal, automake and
autoconf.

You can do the following to get going (and we will update the web page
to say more):

cvs ..... checkout gsl
./autogen.sh
./configure