Re: RFC: ABI support for special memory area

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 7:57 AM, Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 03/16/2017 07:22 PM, H.J. Lu wrote:
>
>>> If the latter, why can't you use the existing ELF constructor mechanism
>>> for
>>> this?  As far as I understand it, the call to __gnu_mbind_setup would
>>> just
>>> happen before the constructor calls.
>>

>> That is correct.  The issue is to access the ELF segment header for each
>> loaded object only once.  There is no good way to get this info from
>> constructor.
>

> I think you can get the data in a pretty straightforward manner using
> dlinfo.

dlinfo is used to info from application.  I don't see how it can be used
here.

> I expect that libraries such as bdwgc might want to use the
> __gnu_mbind_setup callback as well, just to register freshly loaded shared

Did you mean to mark pieces of memory garbage collectible? I guess it may
work.

> objects and their data sections.  Can we make this work for multiple users?

What did you mean by "multiple users"?  My proposal targets process memory
address space.  It doesn't forbid sharing memory addresses among different
processes.

--
H.J.