login and passwd problems with glibc (crypt)

I cannot get login and passwd to work with glibc.

I am running:
AMD K6 processor
linux-kernel-2.4.0-test4
glibc-2.1.3
    configured with
    configure --host=i386-pc-linux-gnu --enable-add-ons \
              --prefix=/usr \
              --disable-sanity-checks
egcs-1.1.2
shadow-19990827
util-linux-2.10k.package

The passwd and login programs from the shadow package give the following
error

crypt: Operation not supported

If I disable shadow and run passwd from the util-linux package, it acts like
it successfully sets the password but the password field in /etc/passwd is
still empty (I am starting with no password set).

I have tried this with glibc compiled both with and withiout the crypt addon
package.

I have not found anything in the docs, FAQ's, or mailing lists that help.
Does anybody have any idea what would cause this?  Perhaps some
configuration I am overlooking when compiling one of the packages?

If you need any more information, I will gladly provide it.
Please help if you can.

Thanks.