gcc 2.95 and glibc 2.1.1

I recently posted a suggestion for "fixing" the configure script
for glibc-2.1.1 so that it will compile using gcc-2.95.  For the
record, I should point out that Andreas Jaeger says this is
a bad idea.  In c.o.l.d.s on August 22 he wrote:

"I do advise against this. gcc 2.95 comes with new alias
analysis rules.  If you use glibc 2.1.1 together with gcc 2.95,
you should use -fno-strict-aliasing to compile glibc and all
programs that use glibc since some files violate the strict
aliasing rules:-(.

This will be fixed in glibc 2.1.2."

Andreas, does this mean one should use -fno-strict-aliasing for
routine C compilation on a system with gcc 2.95 and glibc 2.1.1,
even if glibc-2.1.1 itself was compiled using the contemporary
egcs?

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics