This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
[Bug network/19582] Deprecate RES_USE_INET6
- From: "fweimer at redhat dot com" <sourceware-bugzilla at sourceware dot org>
- To: glibc-bugs at sourceware dot org
- Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2016 09:46:03 +0000
- Subject: [Bug network/19582] Deprecate RES_USE_INET6
- Auto-submitted: auto-generated
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org/bugzilla/>
--- Comment #3 from Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com> ---
(In reply to Florian Weimer from comment #2)
> But this code is essentially dead. gethostbyname calls are mapped to the
> gethostbyname2 service module functions internally, and gethostbyname2 (via
> gethostbyname3) always use AF_INET if AF_INET is requested, ignoring
It turns out this mapping happens inside nss/getent, not in libc.so itself.
gethostbyname is handed to the underlying NSS module as gethostbyname (at least
as long as nscd is not involved).
Furthermore, the switch from struct sockaddr_in to struct sockaddr_in6 appears
to mirror what the original RFC required.
This removes some of the reasons for deprecation, but I still thing gently
pushing applications towards getaddrinfo is a good idea.
You are receiving this mail because:
You are on the CC list for the bug.