Re: gdb requires watchpoints to fire after the write

On 2018-08-28 18:08, Tim Newsome wrote:
The RISC-V Debug Spec suggests that memory write triggers fire before the access actually takes place. This allows a user to see what the value in
memory is before it's overwritten. This does not play nice with gdb's
watchpoint expectation, however. When a watchpoint is hit, gdb instantly
reads the memory that it fired on, and if it hasn't changed it silently
lets execution resume. Since on RISC-V the watchpoint fired before the
write actually took place, gdb will always miss the first write because
memory won't have changed yet.

Does that sound right? How should I fix this? With hardware breakpoint
functionality being generally all over the map, I can't imagine this hasn't
come up before.

I don't have experience with many different architectures, but as far as I know, the expectation of the GDB is that the watchpoint is reported after the write. Otherwise it wouldn't need to save the value of the watched expression. That's also how software watchpoints seem to work.

The easiest way to deal with this would be to match GDB's expectation. But if you really prefer the behavior of reporting the watchpoint before the event, I suppose it's always possible to teach GDB about this, but it's a less trivial task. Especially that when you GDB evaluates whether the watch expression has changed value, it would need to consider the not-yet-written value in memory.

I'm also curious to know if other architectures work in this way (report the event before the write actually take place).

Simon