Re: Using libthread_db.so with single-threaded programs, for TLS access

Hi Carlos,

On 09/18/2017 02:17 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On 09/13/2017 06:02 PM, Pedro Alves wrote:

> From the glibc side I think your patch goes in a very desirable direction.
> We want this to look the same if there is one thread (main thread 0) or
> more than one thread. Therefore the abstraction is valuable.

Great to hear, thanks!

> At the implementation level I would want to see the changes to dl-tls.c
> much more restricted. Including db_info.c seems like just an expedient
> airplane hack. We need a cleaner way to define the symbols you need.

Yeah, I was aiming for the "minimal viable product", and just
followed what nptl/pthread_create.c does.  It's possible that we
could trim the defined symbols, I haven't looked much beyond
the surface.

I suspect that nptl/pthread_create.c includes ../nptl_db/db_info.c
directly for static links (-static).  I.e., so that the
thread_db-related symbols are defined (and are only defined)
with programs that call pthread_create.  It's possible that
my prototype breaks -static linking with multiple definition
errors, I haven't tried it.

> So the patch isn't ready, but the idea is solid. I don't have time to look
> at this right now, but I will in maybe a month (yes my queue is that deep
> right now).

Likewise.  If someone more familiar with glibc internals wants to
run with this, they're more than welcome.

Thanks,
Pedro Alves