GSoC

Hi everybody,

A friend of mine suggested that the GDB project should participate in the Google Summer of Code. However, the deadline to register as a mentoring organization is this Thursday, in two days! So we need to act fast if we want to participate. From what I can see, the application process is relatively straightforward, but somebody needs to take care of it (I don't think it has to be the person who will be the mentor, since this may depend on the actual chosen project). I can be that somebody if nobody else wants to.

First of all, I have seen that GDB has been accepted as a mentoring organization in the past:

 - https://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/SummerOfCode2014/Ideas
 - https://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/SummerOfCode2011/Ideas
 - https://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/SummerOfCode2009/Proposal
 - https://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/SummerOfCode2009/Ideas

It would be interesting to gather some feedback from those who lead this initiative in the past. Would you suggest trying to go for it again? Why, why not?

About the actual projects ideas, I'm sure we will be able to collect good ideas from the members of the community. There's always the ProjectIdeas page on the wiki [1] to get some inspiration. On my side, there's the output colouring support which I'd like to see become a reality some day :).

Simon

[1] https://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/ProjectIdeas