Re: collecting data from a coring process

Paul,

>> 1) Why not dump the information that you are looking for into a
>> file in the process signal handler ?
>
> Would love to, but I have no idea what state the process is in once
> the SEGV has been triggered.

If you use altstack and avoid malloc you can dump bunch of information
from the signal handler more or less safely.

e.g.

http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/hs/hotspot/file/tip/src/share/vm/utilities/vmError.cpp

>>> My first thought was to add a script in
>>> /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern to catch the process as it is
>>> coring. Then I get gdb to attach to the PID of the process that
>>> is about to core. Unfortunately, when I tried that, gdb gives me
>>> this error

One of possible solution is:

1. Change /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern to have all coredumps from your
app in a separate directory, something like /var/dumps/%e/core.%p

2. Have a cron job that looks over this directory and run
gdb <exe image name> <core_name> < gdb_script > core.%p.out
on demand.

-Dmitry

--
Dmitry Samersoff