Re: Python gdb.Function is an old-style class?

On 21/07/16 20:16, Paul Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-07-21 at 19:49 +0100, Phil Muldoon wrote:
>> Does calling the super __init__ function solve the PyLint issue?
>>
>> super(self).__init__()
>>
>> The old style/new style classes were introduced, I think, in Python
>> 2.2 (I have not checked).
>
> Yes, I believe you're right.  I assume GDB doesn't try to support any
> Python API older than 2.2!!

It's ambivalent in my opinion. It works with Python 3. But I think the
case here is that nobody has run the PyLint over GDB Python API script
usage to check for these scenarios.

>> I'll check what we are doing in gdb.Function. But I've never linted
>> the Python bindings so there might be other areas where the linting
>> function flags usage requirements.
>
> I really must have fubar'ed my email to cause so much confusion :).
>
> I have a set of functions in my own source directory like this:
>
>   $ cat mystuff.py
>
>   class MyStuff(gdb.Function):
>       def __init__(self):
>           super(MyStuff, self).__init__("mystuff")
>
>       def invoke(self):
>           do_stuff()
>
> This works great, I can source these from within GDB then call
> $mystuff() etc.
>
> But when I run Pylint on "mystuff.py", I get an error because Pylint
> thinks that I'm not inheriting from object.
>
> I suspect a Pylint problem, where it can't grok that gdb.Function is a
> new-style class (through the C API?), because the super() code actually
> works.

Yes, in the source tree see gdb/python/py-function.c. I've not had a
chance to check it yet or if, in fact, there is something we could
tweak. It's never come up before ;)

Cheers

Phil