Re: [RFC] Target Layer Python Interface

On 05/02/16 16:38, Jeff Mahoney wrote:
> On 2/5/16 11:36 AM, Kieran Bingham wrote:
>> On 04/02/16 22:16, Ales Novak wrote:

>>> FTR I've slightly tweaked your gdb.Target to process
>>> "to_xfer_partial", the respective commit is:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/alesax/gdb-kdump/commit/efba160691273ef3c154711255
> 4584088b5dba75
>>>

> (and the respective branch is "gdb-target")
>>>
>>> Then the target code which is accessing virtual (!) memory of the
>>> kernel dump on the disk (using libkdumpfile library) is as small
>>> as:
>>>
>>> === from gdb import Target from _kdumpfile import kdumpfile
>>>
>>> class MyTarget(Target): def __init__(self, fil): self.kdump =
>>> kdumpfile(fil) self.kdump.symbol_func = \ lambda nam:
>>> long(gdb.lookup_minimal_symbol(nam).value())
>>> self.kdump.vtop_init() super(MyTarget, self).__init__() def
>>> to_xfer_partial(self, obj, annex, readbuf, writebuf, offset,
>>> ln): if obj == self.TARGET_OBJECT_MEMORY: r = self.kdump.read
>>> (self.kdump.KDUMP_KVADDR, offset, ln) readbuf[:] = r return ln
>>>
>>> MyTarget(file("/tmp/vmcore")) ===
>>>
>>> which is really nice, I'd say. Now it would be interesting
>
>> Were you going to say something else here? ... looks like it got
>> chopped!
>

>> Pulling the const's through is pretty neat, and that does make an
>> effective way to implement the read overrides to a file!
>

>> By the way, I'd started to add thread support - but I'm on holiday
>> now.
>
>> Adding an add_thread(pid,lwp,tid) method to the inferior allows
>
> Ok, I have code doing that too.  There's a big messy commit at the top
> of my repo last night that I'm going to refactor but I got most of
> this working.

Fantastic, you've probably spent more time on it than me so I'll bet
your version works before I'm back from holiday!

I'll go have a quick look now. :D

I felt a bit like we need a bit better encapsulation on the ptid_t
object. Might need a small object to wrap it up for passing around
instead of just throwing Tuples everywhere.

--
Kieran