RE: Debugging software including background processes

Markus,
The GDB manual's sections on debugging forks(https://sourceware.org/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb/Forks.html) and on debugging multiple programs (https://sourceware.org/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb/Inferiors-and-Programs.html#Inferiors-and-Programs) should help with this.  The Linux core(5) man page has information on naming core files that might also help.
--Don