Re: Personal branches and restrictions with GIT repository

On 28/05/15 14:44, Joel Brobecker wrote:

> 2) And are users allowed to do whatever they want in their own
>    personal branch (within sane defaults)?
>
> To answer your two questions, I think it boils down to policy
> rather than need. The hooks should accomodate the policy.
>
> We can turn all pre-commit checks for user-branches. I don't believe
> that the hooks, as currently implemented, support turning off just
> that "accidental merge" check. The latter can, of course, be easily
> implemented.
>
> FWIW, my take is that if you're going to have your branch hosted
> on the sourceware git, it's not a big effort to be following the same
> guidelines as other official branches. But if people want it otherwise,
> then we can adjust the hooks.

Yeah I think this is the question really. And to reiterate not talking
about Master here, just personal branches. Are we free (in the case of
a merge commit to a personal branch), to ignore the hook and commit
anyway? Is it a suggestion or a directive? That's the crux of the
matter.

I've not checked the wiki yet. Maybe some guidelines for personal
branches and/or master branches would be ideal. I'll volunteer to get
one started if nobody else does. Just need to know the said guidelines
first ;)

Cheers

Phil